Our team has won numerous awards and received industry recognition for
technological breakthroughs and scientific achievements.
Willard S. Boyle and George E. Smith were awarded the 2009 Nobel Prize in
Physics for their invention and development of the charge-coupled device
(CCD), a technology that transforms patterns of light into useful digital
information. CCD technology is the basis for many forms of modern imaging, and
is widely used in devices as diverse as digital cameras, video cameras, and bar
code readers as well as in security monitoring, medical endoscopy, modern
astronomy, video conferencing and is the basis for many forms of modern
Andrew Chraplyvy and Robert Tkach of Bell Labs were awarded the 2009
Marconi Prize for their insights into how information is transmitted over
optical networks and for finding innovative ways to significantly increase the
speed and capacity of optical fiber communications systems. This is the eigth
time that Bell Labs scientists have won the Marconi Prize.
Al Cho, together with Professor Leonid Keldysh of Russia, will be
awarded the 2009 RUSNANOPRIZE in the field of Nano Electronics for the
innovation “semiconductor superstructures and the technology of molecular beam
epitaxy.” The award ceremony will be held during the Nanotechnology
International Forum in Moscow on Oct 6, 2009. A prize will also go to the
RIBER company of France that commercialized the MBE growth machine. This is the
first time the prize will be awarded not only for nanotechnology scientific
discoveries and innovations but for their application to mass production.
Dor Skuler, general manager of mobile security in Alcatel-Lucent's
enterprise business group, was named as one of the Global Telecoms Business
publication’s ‘Forty under Forty’ leading young executives in the telecoms
industry. Skuler incubated and commercialized the OmniAccess 3500 Nonstop
Reinaldo Valenzuela has been given the 2010 IEEE Eric E.
Sumner Award for his pioneering contributions to multi antennas systems and
microwave propagation. The IEEE bestows the Sumner Award annually to an
individual or small team for their outstanding contributions to communications
technology. It is named in honor of Eric E. Sumner, 1991 IEEE President,
who retired as Vice President, Operations Planning, AT&T Bell Laboratories
after a long and distinguished career.
Chris Doerr received the IEEE William Streifer Award for
pioneering research on highly functional integrated optical circuits based on
arrayed waveguide grating routers and their implementation in advanced optical
Rene-Jean Essiambre, Distinguished Member of Technical Staff, Bell
Labs and Yves Baeyens, Technical Manager, Bell Labs have been selected
to take part in the esteemed National Academy of Engineering's (NAE) 15th
annual U.S. Frontiers of Engineering symposium.
Bell Labs TIGER receives the 2009 Celtic Excellence
Award. The TIGER project team was awarded the Celtic excellence award for
their outstanding achievements in the Metro Ethernet market.
Jeong Kim received the 2009 Chinese Institute of
Engineering's Lifetime Achievement Award for his record of significant
contributions to academia, public service and industry, and personal
Holger Claussen, Lester Ho, and Florian Pivit received the
2008 Eckermann-Telecommunications Journal of Australia (TJA) Prize for
their work on improving radio access network power efficiency through the use
of joint small cell and macrocell deployments. They also received an
Alcatel-Lucent Corporate Social Responsibility Award in 2008.
Gerard Foschini and Bob Tkach were elected as new
members at the 2009 National Academy of Engineering. Gerard Foschini was
elected for contributions to the science and technology of wireless
communications with multiple antennas for transmission and receiving, and Bob
Tkach for contributions to research and development of terabit/second
optical-fiber communication systems and networks.
Chris Doerr. 2009 OSA Fellow for his significant
contributions to planar lightwave/photonic integrated circuits.
Al Cho. 2009 U.S. National Inventors Hall of Fame for his MBE
(molecular beam epitaxi) invention.
Jingdong Chen. 2009 IEEE Signal Processing Society Best Paper
for “New Insights into the Noise Reduction Wiener Filter."
Yves Baeyens, Andy Chraplyvy, Alan Gnauck, Anwar Walid, Peter Winzer and
Thomas Woo. 2009 IEEE Fellows.
Yves Chabal and Krishan Raghavachari. 2009 APS Davisson-Germer
Prize. On fundamental surface infrared spectroscopy and quantun
chemical methods to silicon surface reactions important in
Theo Siegrist. 2009 Humboldt Research Prize.
Alcatel-Lucent Bell Labs veterans Herwig Kogelnik and James E. West
awarded 2006 U.S. National Medal Of Technology. Herwig Kogelnik, currently
Adjunct Photonics Systems Research Vice President at Alcatel-Lucent Bell Labs,
and Bell Labs Alumnus James Edward West, currently Research Professor in the
Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering at The Johns Hopkins
University Whiting School of Engineering, Baltimore, have been chosen to
receive 2006 U.S. National Medal of Technology awards from President George W.
Alcatel-Lucent wins India’s TEMA award for Excellence in R&D for
pioneering WiMAX technology. The C-DOT Alcatel-Lucent Research Centre—a
joint venture between the two organizations — has received the Telecom
Equipment Manufacturer’s Association (TEMA) Award for Excellence in R&D
2007 from Dr. Shakeel Ahmed, Honorable Minister of State for Communications
Alcatel-Lucent Bell Labs luminary Alfred Y. Cho awarded 2005 U.S.
National Medal Of Technology. Alfred Y. Cho, Adjunct Vice President of
Semiconductor Research at Alcatel-Lucent’s Bell Labs, has been chosen as a
recipient of the 2005 U.S. National Medal of Technology. The U.S. National
Medal of Technology is the highest honor awarded by the President of the United
States for technological innovation.
The “Trophées du Droit & du Contentieux 2007 Law and Litigation
Awards” has bestowed Sophie Korakis-Ménager, Alcatel-Lucent Corporate
Intellectual Property counsel, with the Silver Trophy of Intellectual
Property Director award. Sponsored by the Ministry of Justice and the
French Organization of Legal Counsel, the Law and Litigation Awards ceremony
takes place every year and rewards best legal competences and practices.
Alcatel-Lucent achieves a world record 25.6 Terabit/s optical
transmission. Alcatel combined research teams of Bell Labs from the United States and
Research and Innovation from France successfully transmitted a world record
25.6 Terabits per second (Tb/s) of optical data over a single fiber strand,
using 160 Wavelength-Division Multiplexed (WDM) channels - enough bandwidth to
transmit the data from more 600 DVDs per second.
- The Open Mobile Alliance (OMA) standardization body has bestowed
Michael R. Brenner the “Contributor and Achievement Award”. The award is
for his outstanding efforts and contributions to OMA's technical working groups
and is the first ever such award in this category.
- Bell Labs Optical Physics Researcher Richart Slusher was presented
with 2006 Max Born Award.
Vince Pizzica, Asia Pacific CTO, won the Telecommunications Society
of Australia's Rothwell Prize for his paper "The rise of telecommunications in
- Alcatel awarded by SPORTELMonaco: Alcatel's "America's Cup Live Sailing"
new media service wins 2006 SPORTEL Golden Podium Awards. Read more.
Emmanuel Desurvire, Senior Director of Photonic Technologies for
Alcatel's optical networking activities received the 21st John Tyndall Award
from OSA and IEEE, for his outstanding and pioneering contributions to the
physical and theoretical understanding of erbium-doped fiber amplifiers.
Christelle Bouchat, research engineer in Alcatel’s Research &
Innovation Antwerp Center received the Circle of Excellence” Award from the“
DSL Forum for her outstanding contribution to DSL home networking
Alcatel's Digital Home Care Solution wins IEC InfoVision
Award. Alcatel DHCS is a unique, tightly integrated solution that
facilitates and automates digital home operational processes including device
installation, service activation, customer support interactions, and
Alcatel 1850 honored with the InfoVision "Best New Product"
award in the category "Metro Network Technologies and Services"
- Bell Labs' Herbert Bertine named winner of the 2006
Edward Lohse Information Technology Medal by American National Standards
Hock Ng, Bell Labs scientist, was named "Most Promising Young
Researcher" by the Electrochemical Society and the North American Molecular
Beam Epitaxy Board.
- The VitalSuite® Performance Management Software Wins 'World Class Award'
From Network Testing Labs.
- Alcatel wins Frost & Sullivan 2006 Market Leadership of the Year
Award for triple play architecture vision in the European fixed telecoms
market category. The award recognizes the company's achievement in defining the
network architecture for triple play deployments.
Ashok Maliakal, Bell Labs scientist, named to MIT Technology Review
Magazine's TR35, a list of world's top 35 young researchers.
- Bell Labs takes another step towards making 100 Gigabit per second
Ethernet-over-optical transmission a reality.
- At ECOC 2006, Research & Innovation remains the holder of the
optical transmission world record for Capacity x Times x Distance
product with 3.1 Petabit/s/km (OFC 2002)
- Research & Innovation is the first to demonstrate live operation of
an indoor WiMAX base station connected to a core network for worldwide IP
network access via a WiMAX access controller (WAC) fully compliant with IEEE
- Research & Innovation premiered a WiMAX application in
live operation for potential customers in the User Centric Broadband
Innovation Center (3GRC) in Stuttgart, Germany. Read
- Research & Innovation receives the TMC Labs 2006 Innovation
Award from INTERNET TELEPHONY® Magazine.
- Alcatel receives Communications Solutions magazine's "Product of the
Year" 2005 Award for “My Teamwork” application with video conferencing
providing presence-aware multimedia conferencing and collaboration capabilities
to businesses and employees.
- Technology Marketing Corporation's TMC Labs named Alcatel's My Teamwork
Land Mobile Radio Conferencing and Collaboration solution (LMRCC) as a 2006
Innovation Award winner from INTERNET TELEPHONY magazine.
- Alcatel honored "2006 Next Generation Network (NGN) Infrastructure
Vendor of the Year" award from Frost & Sullivan in the Asia Pacific
region, thanks to leadership in NGN product innovation and breadth of these
products and solutions.
- Lucent Multimedia Access Platform wins International Engineering
Consortium 2006 InfoVision Award in the best metro networking technology or
- Alcatel's triple play applications family (Alcatel 5900 Communications TV,
Alcatel 5900 Amigo TV and Alcatel 5900 My Own TV) receive IEC InfoVision
Award at Broadband World Forum Asia 2006. Read more.
- The Alcatel OmniSwitch 9700, a full featured, high-performance 10-Gigabit
Ethernet core switch, has been named as a 2006 Well-Connected Awards
winner in the Network Infrastructure category by CMP Media LLC's Network
Computing Magazine. Read more.
- Alcatel’s Unlimited Mobile TV Solution selected by the French Agency for
Industrial Innovation. Read more.
- Lucent's Base Station Router selected as the first place winner of a CTIA
WIRELESS 2006 Wireless Emerging Technologies (E-tech) Award in the Most
Innovative In-Building Solution category.
- Alcatel is first to demonstrate a hardware front end, the basic
building block of radio base-stations, able to operate simultaneously different
radio standards (GSM, EDGE, UMTS) and multiple frequency bands. Read more.
- Genesys Telecommunications Laboratories, Inc., an Alcatel company, receives
Frost & Sullivan's 2005 Market Leadership Award for technology and
market execution in the managed services market. Read more.
- Alcatel's "Live Sailing" wins 'Best Made for Mobile Sports Infotainment'
category of 2006 GSM Association Awards. Read more.
- Bell Labs receives Technical GRAMMY® award for its pioneering
R&D contributions to sound recording and digital communications. Read more.
- Dr. Willard Boyle and Dr. George Smith, both former researchers at Bell
Labs, are awarded Charles Stark Draper Prize for their invention and
development of the charge-coupled device (CCD) by the National Academy of
Engineering's (NAE). Read more.
- The British Department of Trade and Industry ranks Alcatel 47th in the
world top 1,000 companies by their R&D Investment and 11th within the
world IT and hardware industry.
1850 Transport Service Switch (TSS) was honored with the "Best
New Product" award by Light Reading.
- Rainer Muench, Senior System Architect in Alcatel’s Fixed Solution Division
was elected Chairman of ETSI TISPAN, the major standardization body for
NGN based on IMS.
- Alcatel deployed its 40 Gbit/s solution between 2 supercomputers in
Germany, creating the fastest German data line in Germany and is in the
top five ranks of supercomputer centers in the world. The project delivers a
computing power of over twenty TeraFlops,
- Dennis Ritchie, Bell Labs Researcher and Co-Inventor of Unix, Receives 2005
Industrial Research Institute Achievement Award. Read more
- Alcatel Receives INTERNET TELEPHONY Magazine's NEW "INTERNET TELEPHONY
Excellence" Award for 2005. Read more
- Vladimir Aksyuk, Bell Labs researcher listed as one of Technology Review
magazine's TR35, an elite list of top innovators under the age of 35.
- Alcatel receives prestigious IEC InfoVision award for leadership in access
network technologies and services. Alcatel was selected for the unique
capabilities of its Intelligent Services Access Manager (ISAM) family of
products. Read more
- Lucent wins 2005 Next-Generation Mobile Communication Technology Vendor
of the Year Award. Read more.
- Alcatel carries out the world's first demonstration of IMS over
WiMAX. Read more
- Genesys Telecommunications Laboratories, Inc., an Alcatel company, received
the "Most Scalable, Distributed IP Contact Center" Award for its Genesys
7 contact center suite. Read more
- Lucent receives Start Magazine's Technology & Business Award. Read more
Emmanuel Desurvire, from Alcatel Chief Technology Office, received
the 2005 IEEE/LEOS William Streifer Scientific Achievement Award for
“his pioneering contributions to the physical and theoretical understanding of
erbium-doped fiber amplifiers and their early device development."
- Bell Labs demonstrates the first transmission of
100Gb/s Ethernet-over-optical. Read more.
- Bell Labs and mPhase Technologies announce milestone in magnetometer
development. Read more.
- Lucent recognized by VARBusiness Magazine as one of North America's
top information technology vendors.
Christele Bouchat, Research engineer in Alcatel Antwerp
Research & Innovation Center. received the "Key Contributor Award"
from the DSL Forum in recognition of her outstanding efforts in the DSLHome
- Bell Labs' Physicist Rod Alferness receives 2005 IEEE Photonics Award
at Optical Fiber Conference (OFC). Read more
Krishan K. Sabnani, Senior Vice President of Networking Research for
Bell Labs, received the 2005 IEEE Eric E. Sumner Award. Read more
- Alcatel receives two INTERNET TELEPHONY Magazine's "Product of the Year"
Awards for 2004 -- Alcatel is recognized for its revolutionary Alcatel IP
Touch application phone and for its eDial Instant Collaboration System™ (ICS)
conferencing and collaboration product. Read more
- Lucent Technologies' Bell Labs and FCI Demonstrate 25gb/S data
transmission over electrical backplane connectors. Read more.
- Alcatel OmniTouch Unified Communication receives Frost & Sullivan's
2005 Product of the Year Award. Read more.
- Alcatel received the 2004 Frost & Sullivan Market Leadership
Award that recognizes Alcatel for Leadership in IP Communications in 2004
with its IP-PBX market leadership in Europe for both IP-enabled and converged
solution line shipments. Read more
- Alcatel performs record optical transmission field trial with a
point-to-point DWDM 170 Gbit/s per channel transmission of 1.28 Terabits per
second over a 430 km standard (ITU-T G.652) single mode fiber link in France
Telecom's network in the Marseille area. Read more
- Lucent Technologies receives award for leadership in Next-Generation
messaging business development strategy from Frost and Sullivan.
- Lucent Technologies Wins CDMA Industry Achievement Award for Network
Technology Innovation. Read more.
- MIT's Technology Review Magazine Names Bell Labs' Aref Chowdhury One
Of Top 100 Young Innovators. Read more
- Alcatel OmniTouch Unified Communication receives TMC® Labs Innovation
Award. Read more
- At ECOC 2004, Alcatel published the highest capacity ever transmitted
over transoceanic distances: 4 Tb/s over 6200km at 40Gb/s channel
- Alcatel OmniTouch Unified Communication receives TMC® Labs Innovation
- Genesys Receives 2003 SAP® Pinnacle Award.
- Alcatel honored by the Asia Pacific Next Generation Infrastructure
Vendor of the Year Award by Frost & Sullivan. Read more
- Lucent Technologies Software Wins 2004 CMP Media LLC's Network Computing
Well-Connected Award for Network Security. Read more
- Lucent software awarded 2003 "Product of the Year" by Technology
Marketing Corporation's Communications Solutions magazine. Read more
- MIT's Technology Review magazine recognizes VoIP technology from Lucent as
one of its five "Killer Patents". Read more
- Alcatel & Be Tomorrow announce availability of first Java™ game on
mobile with forty simultaneous players in a UMTS environment. Read
- Genesys, an Alcatel owned company, awarded 2003 "Product of the
Year" by Communications Solutions Magazine for its Genesys Express 3.0
product. Read more
- At OFC 2004, Alcatel published a new world record in optical
submarine transmission obtained in the lab with 6Tbit/s (149 WDM channels
at 43Gb/s each) transmitted over a 6,120 km.
- Genesys, an Alcatel subsidiary, is honored with the 2003 "Product of the
Year" award from Customer Inter@ction Solutions magazine for its Voice Callback
product. Read more
Sébastien Bigo, Alcatel Research & Innovation engineer for
Optical Transmission Systems, received the 2003 General Ferrié Award
that recognizes young scientists' contribution to electronics,
radio-electricity and their applications. Read more
- Alcatel wins Networking and Communications Award in leading partner
publication VARBusiness. Read more
- Lucent included in R&D Scoreboard of 300 international
- Alcatel breaks world record in deep-sea cable repairs in the Pacific
Ocean. Read more
- Lucent Technologies receives industry award for most promising network
technology. Read more
- Bell Labs physicist Andrew Chraplyvy receives Tyndall Award from the
Optical Society of America for pioneering research. Read more
- Bell Labs receives its 30,000th patent Read more.
- Alcatel OmniPCX 4400 won Product of the Year awards from Internet
Telephony magazine and Communications Solutions magazine for the second
year running. Read more
- Alcatel Optronics' planar hybrid optical combiner wins the 2002
Photonics Circle of Excellence Award from Laurin Publishing. Read more
- Lucent Technologies' enhanced media server wins Internet Telephony's 2002
Product of the Year award. Read more.
- Alcatel OmniSwitch 7000, a Cutting-Edge Enterprise LAN Switch Ideal for IP
Telephony and Mission-Critical Applications has been awarded "Product of the
Year" By Internet Telephony Magazine. Read more
World Premiere: Alcatel Bridges Asia and Europe Through Live
3G/UMTS. Read more
World premiere: the orange UMTS mobile network deployed in Paris by
Alcatel, conducts voice, data and video. Read more